Wednesday 16 March 2011

Wednesday 16th March 10pm


Felt rather jaded this morning and understandably so I guess. Still didn’t have much of an appetite despite not eating last night but managed a couple of pieces of toast before heading back out onto the road again. The weather has become hotter and hotter the further north I go and today was no exception. It was pretty sweltering from the off and I had a raging thirst in no time. I have spent so much money on Powerade and similar energy drinks on this trip I may have to take out a second mortgage.
The road from Cambridge to Auckland for the early part was a new road called the A1b and is by far the nicest road I have cycled on this whole trip. It was like velvet compared to the rough surfaces I have become used to and actually had a smooth tarmac finish. This may not sound like a big deal but it was believe me ! The usual surface here is incredibly course to the extent that it shakes the bolts on your bike loose and probably my skeleton too. I have persistently numb hands from the vibrations and that’s despite front suspension.
It didn’t take me long to get through the first 34 miles and dispense with the A1b and I ended up in Mc Donalds in a place called Huntly where they have a  big coal mine. By this stage I was a sweaty heap and plastered with flies again and looked a mess when I entered the restaurant. I am constantly having to wash myself down so people don’t get scared at the sight of me. I really do look a mess sometimes and you would not want to sit next to me !
Once past Huntly it was back on the busy A1 sadly and back to multiple HGVs wizzing past at close quarters. Eventually I had to leave the highway as it turned into a motorway and I resorted to the Great South Road that leads straight into Auckland alongside the motorway. It was a pretty flat run all day apart from one big hill at Bombay and a welcome relief. It wasn’t the most scenic day and I have not taken a single picture but it’s been good nevertheless.
I actually passed the 1000 mile mark at some stage as I neared Auckland to that is quite an achievement to me. If I had known it at the time I would have stopped and cracked open a celebratory Powerade and given a small speech. Just as well I didn’t eh ?
Finally, Penrose where I was headed to stay with Tania came up far sooner than expected and I was sitting on the porch at 6pm having completed 90 miles as Tania returned home. It was then a quick shower and off to a BBQ and a fat steak and a couple of beers. My eyelids were drooping by 8.30 though and I now lie in bed feeling completely whacked. It is a bit of a milestone to reach Auckland especially bang on schedule and ready for a day off again. I have Physio tomorrow afternoon so although I imagine it will be rather painful it will definitely help me as parts of my body are complaining vociferously and could do with being replaced ( I wish !)
Its only around 300 miles to the top now and 3 1\2 more days on the bike. As much as I am enjoying this I will be glad to say goodbye to that razor blade of a saddle for a good while. I’ve already decided on a new challenge for a future New Zealand trip. Kayaking the whole of the 400 mile long Waikate river. Anyone up for that ????

No comments:

Post a Comment