Tuesday 15 March 2011

Tuesday 15th March – Return of the Sausages


I told you they should have carried a bloody health warning didn’t I ???
I have just made it to Cambridge and more importantly my hotel room by the skin of my teeth. I shall say no more on the subject.
Today has been an 80 mile trip from Taupo along the A1, again! and relatively quick really. I had great intentions of starting off early at around 8.30 but I slept really badly due to the humidity and struggled out of bed for 8.45 instead. I packed up, paid my humungous bill and headed to MC Donalds for a breakfast of pancakes and maple syrup, YUM !
I finally set off at 10am and straight into the hills. The first was a 1000 ft climb over about 4 miles and the second was around 700 over a shorter distance. Neither were particularly bad and by 2pm I was sat in Tokoroa enjoying lunch at a small bakery. I got talking to a lady called Kay, or Kate who worked there and she  has a child with neurological problems and was impressed with the Charity I was fundraising for. She gave me a donation and a free cake too. What a star !!
Tokoroa was at the half way mark of 41 miles and from then on the hills were over and it was a flat run to Cambridge supposedly. I had climbed 2200 feet by this stage and averaged 12.3 mph so was going pretty well. 2 hours 40 mins later I was entering Cambridge and having upped my average speed so much I was planning on making it to Hamilton instead as I had plenty of time and another 20 miles in the tank at least. Sadly at this stage, the sausages from yesterday, or maybe something I ate today changed my plans. I was sick a couple of times just before Cambridge and that sealed my fate. I am now ensconced in a nice hotel in Cambridge Town Centre feeling a little better thank god though it has taken a while. I’ll see how well I feel in the morning before committing to the completing the 87 miles to Tania’s place. I should be ok though.
I can’t wait to be on a quieter road though. Today has been one HGV after another and terribly busy. Once through Auckland I will look for some alternative routes hopefully as I have had enough of all the traffic. Its only about 400 miles to go though so 5 more days of cycling and I will be at the very top of New Zealand. I’m looking forward to having a birthday beer in Auckland on the 25th to celebrate and not have to get up early the next day to cycle a zillion miles.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment