Thursday 3 March 2011

Friday 4th March - Short day today

I've just arrived in Christchurch having flown the last 47 miles from Ashburton in less that 3 1/2 hours. The legs felt good today after yesterdays physio. Its just a pity the achilles tendons didn't as they are now both giving me Jip. If it wasn't for the last of my painkillers I don't know what I would have done. I will be buying shares in Nurofen when I return. I think I peddled faster just so I could stop sooner. Whatever works I guess. I think I'm going to have to take a rest day tomorrow whether I like it or not.
Anyway, enough of my moaning, the weather today has been hot and sunny and I am feeling quite self conscious as I sit here in a coffee shop as I must stink. Looking around there is a bit of space and everyone does seem to be congregating on the other side of the shop.Who cares though as they have free WIFI !!! The good thing about burning up all these calories is that you can eat what the hell you want so I have just guzzled a triple chocolate muffin, a cornetto, a bottle of coke and a large latte. I will probably come back from this trip fatter than when I started.
Today I had to cheat a little and get a lift across the Rakaia River bridge which is 1.1 miles long and extremely exposed to the wind. Its pretty damn dangerous as there is no hard shoulder and its quite narrow. If two trucks are converging on one another at speed then there is no room to pass a bike like mine with panniers and I was not risking getting blown into the path of one of these trucks as that would be the end of Andy. It took me all of 30 seconds to flag down a truck to oblige me. It was harder to get him to stop at the other side and let me out again as he wanted the company I think and couldn't really understand why I wanted to carry on cycling after a mile long lift.
The rest of today's ride has been one long perfectly straight road and I have climbed about 80 feet all afternoon. I just kept my head down and peddled like heck. As a result I have averaged 15mph which i'm pretty chuffed with.
I now just need to wait until my hosts are home from work  as they live just round the corner from where I am now. I'm really looking forward to putting my feet up for a while if they don't mind me staying an extra night.
I am now over half way through the South Island so about a quarter of the way through the trip. There is still plenty of time for people to sponsor me. I think the totaliser is on 71% so far so there is still a way to go. Thanks to everyone for the support and the texts. ( you cant get enough when on your own) I will try and post some more photos soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment