Friday 4 March 2011

Rest Day Quakes

Well I guess it was only a matter of time before I felt the earth move and it finally came at 10am this morning as I was lying in bed in a caravan in Michelle and Gordons back garden. I had just finished a phone call when the caravan began to shake quite violently. My first thought was that my hosts were outside shaking the caravan as some sort of practical joke to wake me up but I soon realised this was not the case. It was actually a bit freaky as I've never really felt anything like it before and that was only a small one by comparison to two weeks ago. It only lasted about 6 seconds in all though and there was no damage done. A local earthquake website showed it to measure 4.1 on the richter scale so a reasonable shudder over all. Two hours later there was another one the same size so I will be used to the earth moving before I leave Christchurch in the morning.
This afternoon has been spent shopping for painkillers and ibuprofen gell for the ankle. Bloody expensive stuff. On crossing the road to the shopping mall I say JT the Korean cyclist who is cycling round the world. It appears he has caught me up!
We had a quick chat and it appears that he is taking a rest day here too. He looked quite shocked and scared when I told him about the two quakes this morning. I think he is having second thoughts now and may cycle on through to a safe distance. I'm sure I will catch him up tomorrow if the ankle holds up ok. At least I can walk on it today so that's an improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment